Thursday 1 October 2009

Tiltott könyvek - Banned books

I fund this at Julie: list of banned/challanged books. Books which are too explicit or too good for the ignorant everyman, i suppose.

I was surprised to see the The Catcher in the Rye right away; i read it some years ago 'coz it was so famous at the uni (i did not understand it, but that's my problem).
Then i rolled down. To kill a Mockingbird, Color Purple - ok, these are just movies for me, but darn famous movies! Next, Ulysess, Lord of the Flies - what the heck?!!
When i saw 1984 i started laughing. Mice and man, Brave new world... and so on. I'm sparing the rest of the list for the afternoon, for a good laugh.
As far a i see it, it's full with those books my literature teachers and other literary sources like books etc always cited as masterpieces, milestones, very fine books - the top of literature.

I wonder if i would find the Bible in it.

Or Winnie the Pooh.

2 comments:

  1. The fun part for me is that many of those books are considered fit for cildren here in Italy. I remember reading "Native Sone" (in italian translation) when I was in junior high and in an edition clearly targeted at junior readers (unabridged). The Great Gatsby, The Catcher in the Rye, Grapes of Wrath and many others were in our reading list for the English course at high school as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly the point! I thought the same, as lots of these books are recommended in high school and some even earlier in Hungary too.

    ReplyDelete